Alpine Jr Ski Program
The Junior Programs are for all children in SAU 9 & 13
Alpine Skiing: Grades 1-6
Interested in being a Volunteer Instructor? Click Here
ESSC Alpine Teaching Guide
Green: min- Never even seen snow
Goals- basic control of skis, gliding/braking wedge, wedge turns
- Warm up circle: stance, hopping, stepping, shuffling, balance on one foot, brush skis into a wedge.
- Follow the leader: group follows instructor around the learning center experiencing direction changes and small variations in terrain.
- Scooter: take off one ski and move about. Flat terrain, up a hill, down a hill.
- Climb a hill: side step, herringbone.
- Straight run: small hill, natural runout, look for a tall, balanced stance, gentle contact with front cuff on ski boot. Variations keep this fun, step, shuffle, hop, what else?
- Straight run to gliding wedge: Be sure student can brush to a wedge on flat ground, now add this to the end of a straight run.
- Gliding to braking wedge: vary size of wedge and see how it affects speed and control.
- Wedge J-turn: add a turn to the end of a straight wedge run. Turn feet, not hips, look where you want to go (targeting). Skis must be brushing the snow, not edgelocked, press and turn the outside foot.
- Learning center lift: learn to ride the carpet, handle tow, etc. follow the specific rules for the type of lift you have.
- Control speed on learning center terrain. Ski in a wedge, turn shape = speed control. A wider wedge will also slow you down.
- Always circle back to good balance. Each skill performed in the warm up circle can be used on the hill to challenge and develop dynamic balance. (Balance in motion)
Please print, fill out and return to your school by November 22, 2021
We can help with inexpensive equipment rentals for the duration of the program.
Pay for your child(ren) online! Registration and rentals fees can be paid here. Please include payment confirmation number on registration and rental forms.